TIREE MUSIC FESTIVAL
ELEVATE STAGE & ELEMENTS PROGRAMME, ARTISTIC DIRECTOR INTERNSHIP
JOB DESCRIPTION AND SPECIFICATION
Location and Dates: Tiree Music Festival takes place in Crossapol in Isle of Tiree between 13th and 15th June 2018
Contract: 100 flexible hours January to June 2018 plus 4 days on site 12th – 15th July
Payment Terms: £10 per hour for 100 advance hours and £125 per day on site rate. Total: £1500
Reports to: Daniel Gillespie, Artistic Director of Tiree Music Festival CIC
BACKGROUND TO TIREE MUSIC FESTIVAL
The Tiree Music Festival (TMF) is a three-day live music event held annually on the Inner Hebridean Island of Tiree.
The 2018 event will feature over 100 artists, attract 125+ volunteers and up host 2000 festival revellers, more than tripling the population of this remote Scottish Island and generating the biggest annual economic impact to the local economy. Formed as a Community Interest Company (CIC), TMF has an asset-lock to the Tiree Trust and co-funds a local Event & Culture position on the island.
Each year the festival plays host to a range of traditional, folk and rock/pop performers from both Scotland and Internationally as well as providing access to local activities and the ever popular ‘community village’ featuring vendors and activities for festival attendees.
The festival is family friendly and attracts a wide demographic of people, including young people attending with their families and also older young people attending independently. The proposed programme of activity for 2018 will create new and diverse opportunities for young people on both Tiree but also for those across Scotland who visit the island to attend the festival.
TIREE MUSIC FESTIVAL 2018 – ELEVATE STAGE & ELEMENTS PROGRAMME
A brand new stage for the 2018 edition of TMF will be launched at the festival in celebration of the Year of Young People 2018 and will be a platform for emerging young musicians from across Scotland. It is well documented that opportunities for young people to perform at nationally significant events are few and far between and generally not afforded the same infrastructure or number of opportunities as they are for older, more established musicians. The ELEVATE STAGE will create a much needed and significant opportunity for young musicians in Scotland to perform at a major award-winning event.
Alongside this will be the exciting ELEMENTS PROGRAMME, a series of 4 creative activities that are focused around 4 elements that are a key part of life on Tiree – Sun, Wind, Sea and Sand.
Another new feature of the 2018 festival, again as part of the Year of Young People, will be the festival’s bespoke training programme for a young event organiser to work alongside the main festival team to both support the team in the event delivery and the artistic direction of the brand new ELEVATE STAGE & ELEMENTS PROGRAMME. This will be done through a specially created training programme and in response to the areas which the young person feels they would like to develop. Unlike many other internships, this will be a paid opportunity for the young person.
This is a hugely exciting and rewarding role for the right candidate. We are looking for someone who is a hard worker with an active interest in the Scottish music and festival scene. The chosen person will be confident, enthusiastic and someone who gets a buzz out of seeing an event they have organised run smoothly.
Their primary task will be to lead on the artistic direction of the brand new ELEVATE STAGE and ELEMENTS PROGRAMME, with support from Daniel Gillespie, Artistic Director of TMF.
The ideal applicant for this role will have good organisational skills, good people skills, a passion for music and creative arts, be a good team player and keen to work hard to deliver the best final outcome.
– Research and develop artistic ideas and potential acts for the ELEVATE STAGE & ELEMENTS PROGRAMME
– Manage budgets (with support from wider team)
– Manage relationships and expectations
– Produce a programme this is exciting to our audience, is a box office draw and in line with the festival’s goals and ambitions
– Engage fellow young people in the research and design of this programme
Key tasks, duties and quality standards in successfully carrying out this role:
PLANNING, ORGANISATION AND MANAGEMENT
– To attend meetings when required
– To manage the application process
– To actively seek, programme and curate high quality content for the ELEVATE STAGE & ELEMENTS PROGRAMME
– To liaise and communicate effectively with all artists, fellow TMF staff and volunteers to ensure the safe and smooth running of the festival
FINANCE AND BUDGET MANAGEMENT
– To identify and develop new relationships with sponsors and funders and maintain good current existing relationships
– To manage the budget of the ELEVATE STAGE & ELEMENTS PROGRAMME, with support from Daniel Gillespie – TMF Artistic Director
MARKETING AND COMMUNICATION
– To raise the profile of the ELEVATE STAGE & ELEMENTS PROGRAMME locally, nationally and internationally
– To work with the Marketing and Press Manager, Hannah Innes to develop effective marketing material and identify PR angles to help promote the ELEVATE STAGE & ELEMENTS PROGRAMME
– To work with the rest of the team to evaluate and quantify the success of the ELEVATE STAGE & ELEMENTS PROGRAMME
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE DESIRED (BUT NOT ESSENTIAL)
– Good budgetary skills
– Strong communications skills & organisational skills
– Track record of idea generation and delivery of projects from conception to completion
– Experience in managing multiple projects
– Experience in event management, especially those involving young people
– A strong team player
– Be happy to speak in public, meet new people and promote the festival
– A cool-headed temperament and ability to confidently multi-task, problem-solve and prioritise
This role is open to young persons aged 18 – 26 that reside in Scotland. All applicants must be registered self-employed and will be personally responsible for any tax due on income from the role.
To apply for this role, please email CV and supporting letter to email@example.com. Deadline for applications is Friday 22nd December 2017 at 5pm.